Wednesday, February 10, 2010

New Technologies "Sharing the Road"


Image found at http://www.welcome-to-lancaster-county.com/amish-buggy.html.

I was driving out to visit my parents' last week and passed a horse and buggy on Highway 1. I was around the Cambridge City/Connersville area where there is a large Amish population. Now I'm thinking back to our conversation last week about whether new technologies replace or enhance old technologies. I thought the picture I added is very appropriate and really sums up this topic. Old technologies are never completely replaced. They are just forced to "share the road" with the new technologies. Of course most likely there will be a lot more usage of the new technology than the old technology. For every one buggy I see, I will probably pass several hundred or more cars. But it seems there is always someone out there who still values the 'old ways' and makes use of them, even if only for nostalgic purposes. If there is something that has been completely replaced, it is probably because the original way was very dangerous or unpleasant, but I can't think of anything at the moment that would fit this category.

3 comments:

  1. I like your "share the road" analogy. I definitely believe that there will always be people who appreciate the old ways of doing things, and there will always be a market for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your idea here. What comes to my mind I think our communication has gotten a lot better throughout the years. In the cave man days we had cave paintings to convey our messages. Now we have the internet, cell phones, radio, TV, etc. Also with something else that was mentioned in the last class was the invention of the camera. We still have painters and paintings, but the camera does a better job with the function of taking portraits. Not to mention cheaper and more beneficial. However someone might argue with me that the beauty and art form of having your portrait painted is classier than a photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this concept! Absolutely right. Unfortunately, not many people are still writing on scrolls, chiseling into stone tablets, or banging away on old-fashioned typewriters, so there are a few things that have been strewn along the roadside to make way for the newer, faster, "better" technologies. But, yes, there is always room for those who have a connection to the old technologies who will keep them alive for as long as they are.
    Thanks!
    -Kellie

    ReplyDelete